Looking for a place to talk MSU hoops? Look no further, all MSU hoops, all year long. Comments or questions, email me at bullybasketball@yahoo.com .

Thursday, July 3, 2008

Who Will Define the Next Era of MSU Basketball? by Arliss


I got to thinking the other day while I was looking at the schedule posters I have collected over the years. I've got schedule poster back to the 2000-2001 season. When I think of eras, I think of a player that was the face of our program for those seasons. Dating back to 2000, it was Mario Austin 00-02, Lawerence Roberts 03-04, and Jamont Gordon 05-08. So who will define the next era? I would have to think to qualify to define an era, someone would have to play a minimum of two seasons. Two players come to mind, Ravern Johnson and Romero Osby. Even though no one is likely to flirt with Jarvis's defensive numbers for years to come, most of us will think of offense when we think of a headliner.


My mind keeps flashing back to the bits and pieces that Ravern showed up driving to the basket last season. Ravern shot lights out in high school, but the kid has some athletic ability. When he came to State, I thought his place during his freshman campaign would be waiting for a shot on the wing. But the flashes of talent I saw him display, makes me think of just what he can bring to the table when he puts it all together. He has a mean first step, and he has an arc on his shot that frustrates defenders. Like I've said before, after the defects from last season, Ravern Johnson could come out smelling like a rose. But will he take advantage of it, I hope so. I think Romero, will be a major contributor this year and could be possibly be in the starting lineup come January, but I think Ravern Johnson will be the man. Will he define the next era in MSU basketball? We'll see.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ravern Johnson- talent, talent, talent, talent, talent.......

Unknown said...

My Dad says it looks like Ravern, Dee, and Jarvis. He says that we're going to be better than last year. I hope he is right.

I hope Charles can make that Mavs roster. He can shoot very well. The pros love guys who can shoot. I pray for his success.

Anonymous said...

We still have alot of talent on this team. I just hope that someone steps up as the emotional leader. Right now, judging from past performances, Brian Johnson and Dee Bost seem to have that edge to push others. I have concern that Bost might struggle some coming into the SEC. However he has gotten it done on the last two levels.

captaindawg

Anonymous said...

I think Osby will be our star this year on offense.

Anonymous said...

Rmomro Osby is very talented. Has very good offensive skills.

Anonymous said...

Romero Osby- big/very strong, very talented. Defense will be a big key.

Anonymous said...

Dee Bost has been awesome.

Anonymous said...

Dee Bost- Mississippi State, Dexter Strickland- committed to North Carolina

April 22, 2007

Pitt Jam Fest: Saturday
By Justin Young

Pittsburg(from article).......
The day was started off with a nice battle of guards. Team Carolina's depth in the backcourt seemed to hold off a fast start from Dexter Strickland of Team New Jersey ABC.

Strickland, one of the best guards in the nation, played up to his billing with 15 first half points. He hit on a pull up jumper from the elbow, an athletic play at the rim, created off the bounce and knocked down a three off a screen. The St. Patrick guard had it rolling in every way. That is the beauty of his game. When he needs to be the scorer, he's the scorer. When he needs to be the point guard, he hands out the assists.

All was well, until the second half. Dee Bost matched up with Strickland and slowed down the five-star sophomore in dramatic fashion. Bost gave Strickland fits with his physical play and constant pressure. It frustrated Strickland and it limited his touches. The sophomore finished with 23 points.

Strickland struggled as a defender as Bost got the rim at will. The 6-foot-2 combo guard from Concord (N.C.) seemed unfazed by anyone standing in his way. He struggled with his shot falling as he put in a loud 11 points. The opportunities where there whenever he wanted them. Bost will likely spend next year at Hargrave Military Academy in Virginia.ina.

Anonymous said...

We are not our own. It is He who has made us, not we ourselves.

Anonymous said...

Watch over your heart for from it flow the springs of life.

Anonymous said...

God is Good