Looking for a place to talk MSU hoops? Look no further, all MSU hoops, all year long. Comments or questions, email me at bullybasketball@yahoo.com .

Saturday, January 12, 2008

MSU 60 Georgia 49

This was one of the more awkward MSU games I have attended in a while, as far as the refs go, a block and a charge on the same play and a jump ball b/c none of the 3 refs could tell who touched the ball last. It was a physical game, we had some casualties. I anxious to see how long Ben will be out and to see the prognosis on Charles. That has to be a MSU record for Jarvis with 10 blocks in 21 minutes played. Georgia came out of the half and mauled Jarvis not letting him block shots. I hope all had the opportunity to see Jarvis's 3 blocks on one Georgia possession, it was a thing of beauty. Jarvis is the best shot blocker the SEC has seen since Roy Rogers of Alabama. The Dogs couldn't get anything near the paint in the first half. We are playing some excellent defense and Phil Turner is play a big part of that. Look for Benock & Ravern to step up in Ben's absence. Everyone saw the lazy passes and I never seen MSU milk the clock like they did toward the end of the game. I hope is all possible, you will make it to Starkville on Tuesday, the cats will be riding high after knocking Vandy from the ranks of the unbeatens. Any way you spread it, we are 2-0 in the SEC and playing some good defense, will be a good one on Tuesday. Go Dawgs!!!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The team is definitely a work in progress. We can shoot a lot better than we did, but these first two SEC games have made me feel better about how much guts we have.

UK game is next. I'm reading that Jasper (MCL) is doubtful as is Meeks with a hip flexor.

I think Hansbrough will play if the swelling subsides and he isn't in too much discomfort. He made a lot of his typical plays after the injury. If it was his shooting hand, things would be a lot different.

All that said, we have to start resting Jamont a little more. He was clearly worn out just before he made some of his BAD turnovers and the subsequent INT foul. I made several comments on his body language just before that harrowing stretch.

So, it's time to keep working with Ravern and Riley. We need Bailey to play some big minutes against Patterson. Remember that this is Kentucky ( Randolph Morris ) and the officials will call any and every touch foul under the basket.

zd

Anonymous said...

That intentional foul was a very bad call. He hit the ball before he even made contact with the player and even then the contact was not that bad. Terrible call and we really need to improve our shooting and decision making.

Anonymous said...

I think the technical was absolutely and 100% accurate. I work just below where the foul occured, and it was clearly obvious to me. Good call, if you ask me.

The decision-making is getting better...it's the chemistry that needs to improve. That, however, can't be forced - it just happens.

I agree about resting Gordon. He gets frustrated and desperate, and he needs time to calm down both physcially and mentally.

Hansbrough needs some time off. He's been favoring the hand all season, and I highly suspect that he broke it very early on and has been playing on it all season before aggravating it tonight. His shooting has been far worse than last season as well, and he needs some time to heal.

I'm hoping Rhodes was just in pain and didn't re-sprain the ankle tonight. We will need him in the thick of conference play.

I sincrerely hope Jarvis is okay - he needs to be playing as much or more than Gordon. He's our most important player overall, in my opinion, because of the way he affects the entire game.

I am shocked by our shooting thus far in the season. Our guards are not playing up to par, and our outside shooting has been horrendous.

Anonymous said...

I always thought that an intentional foul was supposed to be called when the player does not make a play on the ball. I don't know how you can call an intentional foul when the first thing that Jamont touched was the ball.

Anonymous said...

It looked every bit of intentional to me.

Anonymous said...

It was evident to everyone in the Hump that Jamont was exhausted, except I couldn't believe that Stansbury apparently couldn't "read" Gordon's body language.The only other thing I can think of is that he was waiting for the TV time out which came up in about two minutes to rest him then.

Well, the Dogs won, so everything turned out alright.

Anonymous said...

I wish we had played Bailey more in the few games we had against really weak opponants.I agree that we could really use Bailey.I hope our coaching staff can do something to "accelerate" his progress, because he is a warrior under the basket.

-Souldog