Looking for a place to talk MSU hoops? Look no further, all MSU hoops, all year long. Comments or questions, email me at bullybasketball@yahoo.com .

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

As the Basketball Turns


I have collected some fan quotes on the KY recruiting message board on Scotty Hopson. Some of these posters seem to have some credibility, most have btw 1000-23000 posts. Take it for what its worth.

"I really don't expect to see him in Lexington and I for one would be the first to apologize for the treatment both he and his family have been given by those few idiots that call themselves UK fans. This "we hate anyone that doesn't go to UK" stuff needs to stop yesterday. "

"I don't think he'll decommit. As long as his mother wants him at MSU I don't see it happening. However, if his mother said you can do what you want, he might consider it. Just another talented in-state kid our former coach ignored. I kid who is a top 30 player, and wanted to play at UK. "

"He was booed at his own school, his mother has been approached about his poor decision making, and generally he has had to explain himself to everyone."

"As far as I am concerned, Hopson will play for Miss St., and any talk of him backing out is pre-mature... and will do nothing but be in the minds of other kids we might be after. "Man, what if i sign and then Hopson backs out and Kentucky signs him too...then I will have to compete for playing time"
Hopson is solid Miss St. said it himself, so come on down to the next guy..."

"The way Gillispie is flying all over the place...and making new offers to kids every week...I doubt we have an open Scholarship by the end of summer...
And if we do, it will probably only be one...and we will need a Center. "

"FWIW, Rick Stansbury also got a verbal commitment tonight from 4-star PG Dee Bost. He'll join 4-star Romero Osby (used to be 5-star) and Hopson in the '08 class. I would think Hopson would be thrilled with this commitment, and the class coming in is stellar." (This guy had over 23K posts, he must live on the computer!)

"Wow. Looks likes Stansbury is quietly building a heck of a recruiting class." (DUH!!)
Well there are just as many posters that think he will be a wildcat, but overall I feel like KY fans are just hoping. I don't know if this makes you feel any better, but I feel that the media on some select fans are much more wishful than Scotty is about giving KY a chance.

2 Samuel 2:6 May the LORD now show you kindness and faithfulness, and I too will show you the same favor because you have done this.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the backhanded comments like: He always wanted to go to UK but Tubby didn't recruit him or we don't have a scholarship. UK fans would love to have this guy and hope that he changes his mind.

captaindawg

Arliss said...

Captain, you mean you hope he does not change his mind, right?

russ said...

Just out of curiosity. Has Stans ever lost a big name recruit from another school that he has went after? I know we have lost several to the NBA, but what about from other colleges? I would guess there would have to be some, but I can't think of any. This, by the way, does not mean at all that I think Hopson is a lock.

russ said...

Just to clarify, has he lost any that have committed to state.

Arliss said...

No, he has only lost recruits to the NBA, not to other schools since he has been head coach at MSU, and I don't imagine he lost many recruits since he arrived in Starkville as an assistant in 1991.

russ said...

Any reason why he doesn't get any more press pub for being such a good recruiter?

Arliss said...

State fans have always known what a good recruiter he is, but if he can get these three to sign he will turn some heads. It is also related to winning, if Stans can't make a sweet 16 run, recruiting along with coaching attention will follow.

Anonymous said...

"Any reason why he doesn't get any more press pub for being such a good recruiter?"

--i think this is quite a complex answer.
*id say that the inability of MSU to promote itself keeps our teams and our coaches from being as well known as they could be.
*even though we have had immense success in the last decade, we are still in the backseat to the likes of BAMA, UK, Arkansas, and UF in terms of conference teams receiving national exposure.
*we are a small(relative to the rest of the SEC) school in a small market. ive often thought of us as a small fish in a big pond. whereas Gonzaga or Memphis is the big fish in a small pond.

-TheMystic/mstateglfr

Anonymous said...

arliss,

I was saying that the UK fans hope that he changes his mind. I certainly don't want him to change it. I think he made a great decision.

captaindawg

Arliss said...

OK Captain, that makes sense. Sorry