Looking for a place to talk MSU hoops? Look no further, all MSU hoops, all year long. Comments or questions, email me at bullybasketball@yahoo.com .

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Good Recruiting or Good Coaching


In the last two seasons one recurring theme on the MSU basketball team is freshmen playing alot of minutes. We have gone through some growing pains with freshmen playing major minutes. This is directly related to defectors in recent years. Our underclassmen now have the attitude that it takes to win. As far as good recruiting, Ben and Barry just didn't get much love from the national recruiting services. Jarvis was by far the highest rated player in the 06 class. I have personally been impressed with our coaches and their ability to teach our freshmen to play SEC basketball. Even though the point guard position brings more criticism, it seems to me like we had an easier time with Ben, Barry, and Jarvis than Jamont last season. The good thing about playing alot of freshmen, is they only get better with playing experience and we have 3 sophomores with major SEC experience. So is it good coaching or good recruiting, I think its alittle of both.

3 comments:

Arliss said...

Good Coaching or Good Recruiting, What do ya think?

Anonymous said...

Both. These freshmen played very well despite the rankings assigned to them, Stansbury said before hand that these guys were good, still the coaches appeared to have done a very good job of getting these guys prepared to play, and developing these kids over the course of the season. Before the season- Barry Who? After the season- Freshman 3 pt record. Look for more of the same and even better, with Stansbury and his freshmen.

Anonymous said...

I have been very hesitant to answer this because I am afraid people will rip me apart. In all my years of basketball, I feel I have learned alot. Stans is a great defense and rebounding coach. He knows how to coach hussle and heart, but I dont believe anything you see on offense can be accredited to him. I think it is his, as well as his staff's, recruiting ability that gets the O on the court. I just dont see the offense a offensive minded coach would this team producing. THAT BEING SAID...I love the b-ball dogs and am not one to always criticize so please dont jump my case.

GO DOGS!!!

PHolley